Search This Blog

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

On the Mosque and Rising Suns


Given that this blog's purpose concerns the relationship between religion and culture, it would seem I should have something to say about the controversy in New York. But I do not know what to say. Suppose a segment of the population decided to protest the notion that the sun rises in the east. What shall we say? Look east in the morning? Look west in the evening? And if they persisted, claiming that the "claim" that the sun rises in the east is nothing more than mere "appearance", a clever trick or manipulation of those with sinister intent, what then shall we say?

That the protest in New York is irrational, that the sentiments expressed against the community center, against Islam, against the "Other" are ill-conceived, seems to me so self-evident there is no need to express it here. Besides, from the Daily Show to Frank Rich in the NYT, the flaws of the protests logic and approach seem to have been laid sufficiently bare.

And those who prefer their news a little, shall we say, foxier, how can we communicate? For what is at issue here is not a question of foreign policy or economic theory. There are certanly issues around which conservatives and liberals can disagree with integrity and intelligence. This issue is not one of them. What is at issue here is the demonization of a people through loose guilt by association and ludicrous cause and effect. This is power playing emotion to the worst effect. I just wish I could think of something new to say about it.

I guess what troubles me the most about this issue, and why my brain tends to lock up when I think about it, is that I am trained as both a theologian and a journalist. So I see offense on every front. The coverage of the "story" is irresponsible by the right and the attitude toward Islam and the raging ignorance displayed concerning religion, culture, and history is staggering.

How do you argue with someone who says the sun rises in the west?

Or as Schiller has one of his characters exclaim, "Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain."

1 comment: