Search This Blog

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Friday, April 23, 2010

Poetry



My 55 today is rooted in my recent experience of introducing my father to the nursing home, but it is not particularly autobiographical. Dad does suffer from Parkinson's related dementia but it still fairly conversant at times. But the image I tried to capture was one that I have seen on many occasions and is, I believe, where my father is inevitably headed.

But I also wrote a poem which I have decided to post as well. This one does come directly from my most recent experience. Thanks for the kind words from those who have commented.


At Sunset

He stares into his palm

Wonderment as a god

Embracing his own.


And I with equal wonder

Stare into what’s absent

Beyond the tangled hand.


So we remain side by side

Both convinced of that

Which is seen and unseen.


Agreement is irrelevant

For two bound by love

Which engulfs the distance.

4 comments:

  1. Well done!
    I really like your last verse.
    What a great tribute to your love one, James.
    Have you a great weekend now.
    Mine is here
    hugs
    shakira

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very close to my late Dad.
    I do believe that we should care for them , the best we can, putting them in a nursing home is the best for your Dad, James.
    No one knows best except you.
    It is GREAT that you think of the possibilities of his condition before it gets that way ,
    treasure each and every single moment.
    Take care of yourself.
    GOD KNOWS BEST.
    hugs
    shakira

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great poem. Just wonderful. I lost my grandmother recently, and wrote my 55 about what I think she might have felt.

    ReplyDelete