Search This Blog

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Friday, February 26, 2010

Poetry Workshop

Good Day All,

As you may know from previous entries, I recently completed a masters degree in creative writing, poetry to be exact. When I started the program I had no idea that I would write poetry. It is still somewhat of a surprise to me that I do, although I am getting used to it.

When one is studying poetry, one has the benefit of the poetry workshop. Workshop is a process by which writers present works in progress to the larger group for feedback and response. It is not simply a matter of "I like this" or "This stinks". Workshop comments are intended to draw out what is working in the piece, what is not working in the piece, or some other remark designed to help the writer take a more objective look at the work.

Now I know that many readers are poets or appreciate poetry. No doubt other readers who remain anonymous are familiar with poetry as well. So I thought... why not have poetry workshop? I have a piece that is still young, still developing. I don't know if there is anything to it or not. I know what I am trying to get at, but am I getting close at all? These are the questions one brings to poetry workshop.

If this idea works, then I would invite any of my readers to offer poetry for workshop as well, if you like. Maybe Friday could be poetry workshop day.

And if the idea doesn't work, well, come Monday back to the routine.

So here is my work in progress..... any traction?

A Mid-Summer’s Night

I saw a snake

Climb a tree

His flicking tongue

Searching for prey

I could not see

Amidst green leaves

Providing life to the tree

Which cradled the nest

That nurtured the eggs

warmed by the robin

frantically flapping

flying and striking

The snake reaching

His evening meal

the robin soared

swooping over

Grasses concealing

Tomorrow’s worms

Strength for the robin

Gathering twigs

for her nest.

Two days later

That same snake

Was cleaved in two

With a hoe

By a neighbor

Who doesn’t like snakes

2 comments:

  1. I am a good reader, but not a very good writer. I get the rhythm of this pieces and I think it's very good with the exception of "amidst the leaves" which sounds anachronistic. And "providing life to the tree" which sounds too soft and saccharine and sets off my gag reflex. I would say something more specific about the process like "amid the leaves, that devour the sunlight" or some such.

    I think you make an excellent observation that every living creature usually has a good reason for doing what it does, until you get to humans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really good observation.... already made changes :-)

    ReplyDelete